03 November 2010

Is it a bus, or it is a boat???

Today my Chinese class had a make up lesson that was due to two classes cancelled by typhoons that past through Taiwan last month. When the typhoon comes, a warning is given that there can be no classes or work so people are not outside when 100km winds are blowing. Mind you that doesn't stop the media; but that is another story.

Anyway, rather than sit in our classroom for three hours, my teacher organised a field trip. Those who could attend, were to met at Dream Mall. There we bought our tickets and prepared to board the bus.

After a short drive through the city streets and driving along Love River, the bus suddenly took aim at the river bank. Then it drove straight into the water.

Once in the water, turning off the road engines and starting up the water engines, the Amphibious bus started to travelup Love River.

One of the classmates, who didn't expect the bus to float on the water, became very excited when he realised the bus was driving into the water. Admittedly, he was probably at a small disadvantage as he is Korean and doesn't speak much English; apart from the slang that another Australian classmate and I teach him (we should stop that as the Korean classmate tends to say the words at inappropriate moments - but is it fun). The Korean classmate's Chinese is pretty good and I thought he would have known what we were doing. Anyway, after a few moments, I think that he found better things to occupy his time with.

Do you see his pink cell phone? It has a dancing lady on it when he receives a phone call. He does have a good reason for having this cell phone. It was originally his sister's and it is a hand-me-down.

Here are some photos as I travelled up and down Love River.

After doing a circuit of Love River, our ride we to come to an end. I did wonder how well the types would grip the ramp when they have been submerged for so long. But I didn't notice any problem. They must be good wet weather tyres.

The only thing that the bus had to do was to empty the water that it had accumulated.





After all that (and one hundred and eight NT dollars later) that was the end of my Chinese make up class.

I wonder if I can talk the teacher into more lessons like this rather than studying Chinese grammar...

Till next time, haveagoodone...

3 comments:

Birdydownunder said...

wow what an education you are receiving. You do such adventurous trips.

Jules said...

That is fantastic! What an exciting time! The Korean chap looks very happy anyway - even if you do tease him somewhat poor chap!

Suzy said...

I love it!!!

What a fun lesson!