04 March 2011

A positive result of the past year's work...

I have been eagerly awaiting for this day to come and in particular 3:00pm (Taiwan time).

Just on a year ago I embarked on a venture that I thought I would never do.

My academic background is not one that is particularly bright.

After I completed my Bachelors, I was more than pleased of that achievement and that I did not want to study anymore.

However, the Doctor persuaded me to attempt the next step in climbing the academic ladder.

This last year has been spend studying day and night juggling between Chinese language and English. This was a challenge in itself because living in a Mandarin speaking place has two effects on my English abilities.

The first is that my English tends to slip because I have to use simpler words, phrases and expressions. Using complicated (or what seems normal to a native speaker) simply are not understood.

The second effect is that I have to analyse the English phrases that I do use to explain exactly what I mean. For example, when you use the word "something", how do you explain the meaning to someone who hasn't heard that word before.

Anyway, after a year of studying and at 3:00pm today, I found out the results of my last piece of assessment (an exam that consisted of 5 one page answers and 3 essays). I had passed sufficiently.

Now I have a Masters at hand.

My next challenge is to sell myself well enough to land a job with one of Taiwan's universities teaching English (hopefully Business English)...

Now it is time for me to rest my weary brain and prepare for my language exchange in a couple of hours.

Till next time, haveagoodone...

5 comments:

Birdydownunder said...

congratulations. I think its always more difficult to learn having once left school.

Lindi said...

Congratulations! Good Luck with the job hunt. :)

Suzy said...

Congratulations!!! Wonderful effort, you must be very proud of yourself, I bet Mum is ....

Jules said...

FANTASTIC TP - and Many Congratulations! You have excelled in your studies and pushed yourself beyond your own expectations. We should all aim for that in life and you have proved what can be done by determination to succeed. Well done you!

Jules said...

I just clicked to leave a glowing comment TP - at least it should have been here but has gone! Maybe awaiting approval but in case it simply vanished I will say again how well you have done, Many Congratulations! Fantastic! I wish you every fortune for the future.