19 January 2011

A different type of Chinese class

Today, my Chinese class was a little different. Usually, my class consists of new words, sentence patterns, grammar and a lot of conversation I don't understand. However, today my class went on a field trip.

Close by there is a Senior Citizens centre and they had invited all the foreign students to participate in a paper cutting class. This class was in anticipation of Chinese New Year on 3rd February 2011.

The first character I created means "Spring". This character may also be hung upside down. Apparently the reason is that spring has almost arrived and spring brings new growth and fortunes.

Personally, I think the characters are confusing enough the right way up; so I'll keep my right way up.





The next character is actually two joined together. The meaning is lucky goat. If you look closely, you can maybe see the floppy ears in the middle??? Well maybe not. This character also involved having a border around the outside. It was a little more challenging that the first one.


As for it's meaning, I am not really sure why a goat is lucky, but someone decided it be so; so it is.


When I thought it was starting to get difficult, the next character was taken up a few notches.

As you can see from the picture to the right, it is three dimensional.

The red paper had to be folded like if I was making a hat. Then the template placed over it and cut very carefully.

This character is the same as the first one, that means spring.


To the right is a picture of the captured audience.

Oh, by the way, I think that this may make the local news. My Mexican classmate, who happens to be considered handsome by many Taiwanese girls, was interviewed by three different reporters. How he had time to finish his cutting, I am not sure....

I think all that attended had fun; well I know I did anyway.

Till next time, haveagoodone...

3 comments:

Birdydownunder said...

well done, I like both symbols. Can I use the first for a P/c please.

Suzy said...

Now that was interesting. I have heard of Chinese cutting symbols and designs from paper to use in their windows but didn't realise the Taiwanese made paper cutouts also.

Jules said...

They are very interesting and look fun to do..
Another readable and interesting post TP.