Last night I decided to break with my tradition of going to bed at my normal time (I am not a night owl) and went out to watch fireworks in Kaohsiung.
One of the major firework shows was at a place called Dream Mall. I had heard from the media and a language exchange that this is one of the better places to see the new year in. Not only do they have the fireworks, but also lots of concerts and stalls to entertain while waiting for midnight to arrive.
I had arrived about 10:30pm and things were already in full swing judging by all the people and scooters everywhere. I should mention that this photo only captured a small area of whole area. The whole event area went for almost a kilometre in each direction.
One thing I did notice was that the environment appeared very friendly despite so many people of all ages coming along. I remember from my days living in Christchurch that groups would form quickly and then the aggression would soon follow. However, none of that in Taiwan.
At many spots around the complex had these really big screens set up that showed what was going on the main stage along with the sound. I think it was a good idea to spread the people around rather than congregate in one place. The advertisement under the screen is for one of Taiwan's local non-government banks. This bank is called E-San Bank and it named after Taiwan's highest mountain (Jade Mountain).
In addition to the entertainment that was going on, Dream Mall also had the rows of night markets stalls that lined the streets. I think this is an essential element of Taiwanese social function; that being have night market stalls set up with Taiwan's delicacies usually consisting of BBQ squid, Sugar Cane juice, and lots of other things that I can only guess at.
After the fireworks show, I along with about ten thousand people headed to the MRT station to catch the train home. Initially, I was a bit worried being a place with so many people converging on a small place. But the Taiwanese officials handled the situation very well and I ended up getting home is about fifteen minutes without waiting to long to enter the station, or board the train. I did have visions of Melbourne's crowded trains after a few cancellations; tighter than being in a sardine can. But Taiwan demonstrated their forward planning ability and proved how well orgainsed they are.
The video here is the last three or four sections before midnight.
Anyway, HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
Till next time, haveagoodone...
No comments:
Post a Comment